These Lemon and Fennel Seed Crackers are delicious. So crisp and flavourful. These crackers are nut, dairy and egg free so perfect for those with allergy considerations or vegan diets. They are a simple cracker recipe that come together quickly in a food processor however you can also make by hand.
I haven’t made a lot of crackers this year. I am not sure why as they are quite simple to make. Possibly, if I am honest, Mr 7 does not tend to eat homemade crackers. But the rest of us do. And homemade crackers are a great waste free lunchbox swap. And not only that, because they are homemade you know exactly what is in them.
These Lemon and Fennel Seed Crackers are nut, egg and dairy free so perfect for school lunchboxes, those with allergies or for those with vegan diets. They are lightly flavoured with lemon zest and the delicious aniseed flavour of the fennel seeds. They are made with a whole wheat flour blend but you could easily make them completely wholemeal too. Another option is to swap out the 1/2 cup plain flour and add in 1/2 cup rolled oats.
Making Lemon and Fennel Seed Crackers by Hand
I make these Lemon and Fennel Seed Crackers in the food processor but these could also be made by hand. Add all the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix together. Then add in the oil and slowly add in the water, mixing and kneading the mixture together by hand until a pliable dough forms.
The trick with Lemon and Fennel Seed Crackers to get them nice and crisp is to roll them very thin and to score the crackers. I find it easiest to roll these crackers out on a sheet of baking paper and cut using a pizza cutter but you could cut with a knife or even cut out with cookie cutter to make cute shapes which may appeal to the kids.
If you love the idea of homemade crackers you will also love my Easy Homemade Cheese Crackers or these delicious Sour Cream and Chives Crackers. If you are looking for other dairy and egg free crackers why not try my Seedy Wholemeal Crackers. These Lemon and Fennel Seed Crackers would be delicious with this Honey Roasted Carrot Hummus.Print
These nut, dairy and egg free Lemon and Fennel Seed Crackers are so delicious. Add into lunchboxes for a great waste free lunch option or pop on a cheese board and enjoy these flavoursome crackers with a delicious hummus or dip.
- 2 cups plain wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- up to 100ml water
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds or poppy seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 180c fan baked.
- In a food processor add all of the ingredients with the exception of the water and blitz until combined around one minute
- Slowly pulse in the water until the mixture forms a dough and comes together (see note one)
- When the dough is ready, turn the mixture out onto a clean bench and pull the mixture together.
- Separate the mixture into thirds
- Roll out each third separately onto baking paper (each half should make a rectangle approximately of 20cm x 30cm). The dough should be rolled as thin as you can – around 0.25cm thick.
- Cut into your desired shapes (I like these as longer strips of around 2cm x 7 cm or as smaller rectangles) then place the sheet of baking paper with the prepared crackers onto a baking tray
- Bake for around 12-15 minutes until lightly golden (check while baking as this could be a little more or less depending on the thickness of your dough and shape of the cracker)
- When baked transfer onto a baking rack to cool before storing in the freezer
The mixture will not ball around the blade so you may need to check the texture by pressing a small amount between your fingers, if the mixture comes together and forms a solid then it is ready. If it is crumbly pulse a little more water in to the mix. Take care not to make the mixture too wet
Keywords: crackers; homemade crackers; lemon and fennel seed crackers