These nut, dairy and egg free Lemon and Fennel Seed Crackers are so delicious. Add into lunchboxes for a great waste free lunch option or pop on a cheese board and enjoy these flavoursome crackers with a delicious hummus or dip.
- 2 cups plain wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- up to 100ml water
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds or poppy seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 180c fan baked.
- In a food processor add all of the ingredients with the exception of the water and blitz until combined around one minute
- Slowly pulse in the water until the mixture forms a dough and comes together (see note one)
- When the dough is ready, turn the mixture out onto a clean bench and pull the mixture together.
- Separate the mixture into thirds
- Roll out each third separately onto baking paper (each half should make a rectangle approximately of 20cm x 30cm). The dough should be rolled as thin as you can – around 0.25cm thick.
- Cut into your desired shapes (I like these as longer strips of around 2cm x 7 cm or as smaller rectangles) then place the sheet of baking paper with the prepared crackers onto a baking tray
- Bake for around 12-15 minutes until lightly golden (check while baking as this could be a little more or less depending on the thickness of your dough and shape of the cracker)
- When baked transfer onto a baking rack to cool before storing in the freezer
The mixture will not ball around the blade so you may need to check the texture by pressing a small amount between your fingers, if the mixture comes together and forms a solid then it is ready. If it is crumbly pulse a little more water in to the mix. Take care not to make the mixture too wet
Keywords: crackers; homemade crackers; lemon and fennel seed crackers