These Carrot Cake Cookies are a full flavour low sugar slightly chewy cookie that will be a lunchbox favourite.
OK. Now I do not think I am one to toot my own horn. But these cookies. Yum. I could eat the whole batch. Is it the carrots? The cinnamon? Maybe. Whatever it is, there is something super comforting about these Carrot Cake Cookies.
These Carrot Cake Cookies are truly bursting with flavour and are nut free and dairy free so great for lunchboxes or those with vegan diets or dairy allergies and intolerances. You could substitute the olive oil for 100g of softened butter and cream with the brown sugar if you wanted.
They are also low in added sugar with only 1/3 cup of brown sugar in this recipe. I think having lower in added sugar baking options is a must for school lunches. And if you love low sugar recipes why not try these Apple Oat Cookies sweetened only with fruit. You may also love these Strawberry Coconut Cookies or these delicious Low Sugar Gingerbread.
Soaking the Sultanas
This recipe calls for 1/2 cup of sultanas. Before mixing these into the batter I soak my sultanas for 10 minutes in boiling water. I then drain the water from them before using. This helps keep them moist and plump while the Carrot Cake Cookies bake.
These cookies freeze well. After baking, allow the cookies to cool before transferring into a reusable ziplock bag or container. I normally pack my lunchboxes the night before so these will defrost over night in the lunchbox. If you are a morning packer, get the Carrot Cake Cookies out 30 minutes before you go to defrost at room temperature. This is especially important you have have a great insulated lunchbox or if the lunchboxes are kept in the fridge at school to ensure that the cookie has time to defrost.Print
These nut and dairy free Carrot Cake Muffins are perfect for school lunches or snacks. Low in added sugar and packed with flavour these are delicious.
- 1/2 cup low flavour extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 150g (two medium) carrots peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup soaked sultanas
- 1 1/2 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup plain wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 175c and a line a baking tray
- In small bowl add in the sultanas and cover with half cup of boiling water and set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and orange zest until well combined.
- Drain the water from the soaked sultanas and stir into the mixture with the grated carrots.
- Mix through the oats, flour and baking powder.
- With wet hands, roll spoonfuls of the mix into balls then flatten them with your hands to form the cookies – the mix will be quite sticky so make sure to keep your hands wet.
- Bake for around 12 – 14 minutes or until the cookie is lightly golden and the mixture bounces back when touched lightly.
Keywords: Cookies; Carrot Cookies; Carrot Cake Cookies