This vegetarian Zucchini Pea and Ricotta Slice is a delicious reinvention of the traditional Zucchini Slice. Packed with flavour and bursting with veggies this makes a fantastic non sandwich lunchbox recipe or a quick and simple weeknight meal. This recipe has been updated with minor recipe adjustments and new photography in March 2020 and was originally published in November 2017.
If you’re anything like me you will be always on the hunt for some quick and easy weeknight meals to add to your repertoire. My Zucchini Pea and Ricotta Slice checks these boxes, plus more. The leftovers (when there are any) are really great for lunchboxes. This slice is freezer friendly too so you can make this purely for lunchboxes, portion and freeze for when it is needed too.
This Zucchini Slice is a really light but still a substantial meal. And I love that you can eat it warm or at room temperature so it’s a great make ahead meal. This is a versatile meal too, it would be a great veggie packed breakfast and also fantastic for school lunches or dinner.
You will need
- Zucchini – also known as a courgette, this is a nutrient dense vegetable (that’s technically a fruit) containing essential vitamins and minerals. I used around 2 medium zucchinis in this recipe. You can peel the zucchini if you would like this less conspicuous in the mixture.
- Peas – I use baby frozen peas and defrost before mixing in with the other ingredients. They contain essential vitamins and minerals. You can omit the peas in this recipe, but then of course it’s just a Zucchini Slice.
- Ricotta – I use a smooth ricotta that is very loose, similar to a natural greek yogurt in consistency. This replaces the need for oil in this recipe and adds creaminess to the mixture.
- Eggs – packed with protein these are a base ingredient in this recipe. I use large free range eggs as standard in my recipes.
- Tasty cheese – is a cheddar cheese. It’s aged so has a stronger flavour than cheddar.
- Lemon zest and juice – lemon adds freshness to this recipe. They are also a great source of vitamin c.
- Mint – I love the combination of mint with zucchini and peas. You don’t need to use it if you don’t want to but it does make this slice taste great. You can also add more mint to this recipe (up to 1/4 cup) if this is a flavour that you love.
- Salt and pepper – the salt is optional but I would recommend adding this to lift the flavours.
- Self Raising Plain Flour – if you do not have self raising flour you can use plain flour and add in baking powder. To make self raising flour, mix two teaspoons of baking powder to each cup of plain flour. You could also use a wholemeal self raising flour.
To make the Zucchini Pea and Ricotta Slice
In a large bowl add in all the ingredients with the exception of the flour.
Add in the flour and stir through until just combined. Spoon into a prepared oven dish and evenly smooth the mixture in the dish.
Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes.
Freezing the Zucchini Pea and Ricotta Slice
You can freeze this slice for two to three months. After baking, portion and cool the slice completely. Then place the zucchini slice in an airtight container separating the portions with baking paper.
If you love this recipe you will also love these Muffin Tin Frittatas which are also perfect in the lunchbox instead of a sandwich. Or these Zucchini Pea Fritters are also great. If you are looking for more zucchini recipes for dinner you will also love this Zucchini Macaroni and Cheese.Print
This vegetarian Zucchini Pea and Ricotta Slice is a delicious reinvention of the traditional Zucchini Slice. Packed with flavour and bursting with veggies this makes a fantastic non sandwich lunchbox recipe or a quick and simple weeknight meal.
- 2 medium zucchini grated (around 250 grams)
- 100 grams of peas
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of ricotta
- 1 cup of grated tasty cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1 cup of self raising flour
- Pre-heat your oven to 180c and grease and line a large rectangular (around 30cm x 20cm) ovenproof dish.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients except the flour
- Slowly stir through the flour until just combined
- Spoon in the mixture into your prepared dish
- Cook for around 25 minutes or until lightly golden and set
Keywords: Vegetarian Zucchini Slice; Zucchini Slice; Zucchini Pea and Ricotta Slice
I hope you enjoy this quick, delicious weeknight meal and that this Zucchini Pea and Ricotta Slice is a hit in your lunchboxes.