This delicious Zucchini Slice is a firm family favourite. It’s a quick and easy no-fuss weeknight dinner or protein packed lunch. It’s fantastic warm or cold and makes a delicious non sandwich lunchbox idea. This slice is made from simple ingredients including zucchini, bacon, eggs, ricotta and cheddar cheese.
I love Zucchini Slice. It’s so simple to whip up for a quick weeknight meal served with a salad. And because this slice is fantastic warm or cold, you can easily prepare in advance for a super simple weeknight meal. And this Zucchini Slice makes a fantastic picnic addition or in the school lunchbox instead of a sandwich.
This delicious one bowl Zucchini Slice recipe is also really quick to prepare. Just chuck it all in a bowl and mix it together! How easy is that?
My recipe uses super simple ingredients that are readily available. And, I like to use ricotta instead of oil in this Zucchini Slice which adds such a light, soft and creamy texture. But while this family friendly Zucchini Slice recipe is light in texture, it’s still a very substantial meal and perfect for those busy nights or a simple but nourishing lunch.
Ingredients and Substitutions
This one bowl Zucchini Slice recipe uses readily available ingredients and I have noted some substitutions. You will find the quantity information in the recipe card.
- Ricotta – this replaces the need for oil in this quick and simple Zucchini Slice recipe. I use a smooth ricotta that is very loose, more similar to a natural greek yogurt in consistency. If you do not have ricotta you could use sour cream, cottage cheese, cream or oil. If using cream or oil I would reduce the amount to 1/2 a cup.
- Eggs – packed with protein these are a base ingredient in this recipe. I used extra large free range eggs in this recipe. If using large eggs you may wish to add in another egg or two.
- Zucchini – also known as a courgette, this is a nutrient dense vegetable that is packed with vitamins – it’s very high in Vitamin A – and minerals. You can peel the zucchini if you would like this less conspicuous in the mixture. There is no need to squeeze the excess liquid from the zucchini.
- Bacon – I use a short cut bacon rather than rashers that are a bit fattier. You don’t need to pre-cook for this recipe but you can cook lightly with the onion and garlic if you like – I would recommend you do this if using rashers. I have also made this with a triple smoked bacon which was absolutely delicious. If you are looking for a vegetarian version of this one bowl Zucchini Slice recipe you should check out this yummy Zucchini Pea and Ricotta Slice.
- Onion – adding more flavour to the recipe. You can cook off gently with the bacon and onion if you prefer. You also could omit but I would recommend leaving it in.
- Garlic – adds a delicious flavour to this recipe. I crush mine but you could also chop finely if you do not have a garlic crusher.
- Tasty cheese – is a cheddar cheese. It’s aged so has a stronger flavour than cheddar, but cheddar would be a fine substitute.
- Parsley – elevates the flavour of the Zucchini Slice. Parsley is high in Vitamin K. You can omit if you don’t have any.
- Salt and Pepper – seasons the recipe and bring out the flavours of the ingredients.
- Self Raising Plain Flour – if you do not have self raising flour you can use plain flour and add in baking powder. To make self raising flour, mix two teaspoons of baking powder to each cup of plain flour. You could also use a wholemeal self raising flour.
How to make the Zucchini Slice
Preheat your oven to 180c and grease a large ovenproof dish. In a bowl add all the ingredients except for the flour and mix well. Add in the flour and stir again until just combined. Spoon into the prepared dish.
Bake the Zucchini Slice for around 30-35 minutes until cooked through, lightly golden on top and the sides of the slice are pulling away from the edges of the dish slightly. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into 8 pieces and serving.
Storing the Zucchini Slice
The quick, simple slice recipe can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to five days in an airtight container. You can also freeze the slice, but for best results you do need to use plastic wrap to protect the slice. You could also tightly wrap with baking paper if you wanted a plastic free option. To freeze, after cooking the slice cool completely. Then cut the Zucchini Slice into portions. Wrap each slice in plastic wrap or baking paper and place in an airtight container and store in the freezer for two to three months.
Reheating the Zucchini Slice
Even though this Zucchini Slice comes together so quickly, it also reheats really well so you can make ahead of time for when you need it. After cooking leave the slice in the dish without cutting and cool, cover with tin (aluminium) foil before storing in the fridge. Then when you are ready to eat it, preheat your oven to 170c and bake covered with foil for around 20 minutes or until cooked through.
If you are reheating leftovers, cover a slice with a dampened paper towel and cook for around 1.5 minutes or until cooked through. Note times will vary depending on your microwave.
Want more quick and simple weeknight meal recipes?
- This Zucchini Pea and Ricotta Slice is a vegetarian version of this recipe and absolutely delicious.
- You will also love this Zucchini Macaroni Cheese a veggie twist on the classic mac n’ cheese.
- My Zucchini and Pea Fritters are a fantastic and filling dinner that come together in no time at all
- These bite sized Pea Mint and Feta Frittata are a fun flavourful quick and simple dinner the kids will love.
Do you love this recipe? Remember to rate it ★★★★★Print
This delicious Zucchini Slice is a firm family favourite. It’s a quick and easy no-fuss weeknight dinner or protein packed lunch. It’s fantastic warm or cold and makes a delicious non sandwich lunchbox idea.
- 6 extra large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 medium (400g) zucchini grated (no need to squeeze the liquid from the zucchini)
- 200g short cut bacon diced
- 1 small brown onion (150g) finely diced
- 1 cup (110g) grated tasty cheese
- 1 clove garlic crushed or finely diced
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (110g) self raising flour
- Pre-heat your oven to 180c and grease and line a large rectangular (around 30cm x 20cm) ovenproof dish.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients except the flour, mixing well.
- Slowly stir through the flour until combined.
- Next, spoon in the mixture into your prepared dish.
- Cook for around 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden and set.
- Cool slightly then serve.
Keywords: Zucchini Slice; Zucchini Bacon Slice; Easy Zucchini Slice; One Bowl Zucchini Slice