Confession time. I don’t really like rice. Well, let me reframe that. I like risottos. I like fried rice. And I’m generally happy enough to have rice as a side with a curry. But rice salads. Meh. I have always found rice salads to be a bit bland. But this rice salad. Yum. This Hot Smoked Salmon and Broccoli Rice Salad has truly converted me. Full of flavour. So filling. And just so good!
If you have been following me on Instagram you will know I post my lunches I take to work occasionally. And I actually think that this has helped me be a little more creative with my own lunches. This Hot Smoked Salmon and Broccoli Rice Salad has certainly been developed in an attempt to keep my lunches fresh, healthy and inviting.
This Hot Smoked Salmon and Broccoli Rice Salad started life as a rather bland tuna and broccoli rice salad and after testing out a few variations I finally settled with this combination which has a slightly asian influence. I would imagine a rather inauthentic influence but it tastes good to me!
You could, of course, use tuna instead of the salmon and I was thinking even a firm tofu would be nice too if you wanted to make this vegan. I really like the hot smoked salmon though. It is so good. The only consideration is it is quite salty so be careful not to add too much soy sauce.
The other thing I love about this Hot Smoked Salmon and Broccoli Rice Salad is that it is really filling. The brown rice is high in fibre and low GI and I really like the flavour in this salad. You could always use peanuts instead of cashews or replace with dried shallots or just leave out completely.
Love the sound of this Hot Smoked Salmon and Broccoli Rice Salad? You will also love this Roasted Pumpkin and Almond Cous Cous Salad or this delicious Vegetable and Spiced Cous Cous Salad with Tzatziki.Print
This delicious heart Hot Smoked Salmon and Broccoli Rice Salad that is as filling as it is full of flavour.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (around 1/2 cup uncooked rice)
- 100g blanched broccoli florets
- 150g hot smoked salmon shredded
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1/2 large red capsicum sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp sesame seeds to garnish
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Cook rice according to packet instructions and rinse and drain when cooked.
- Meanwhile blanch the broccoli by cooking lightly for one minute then transfer into ice water for 5 minutes then drain and lightly dry.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked rice, shredded salmon, broccoli, spring onion, capsicum and cashews.
- In a small jar mix together the soy sauce ginger and lime juice and zest
- Pour over the salad and mix again before topping with coriander and sesame seeds (optional)
Keywords: Hot Smoked Salmon Broccoli Salad; Salad; Office Lunch