These delicious and decadent Chocolate Rum Raisin Bliss Balls are free from added sugar and dairy. They are the perfect adults only bliss ball or substitute the rum for rum extract for an alcohol free version.
These Chocolate Rum Raisin Bliss Balls are just fantastic for party platters. Flavour packed but with no added sugar. These bliss balls contain dates and almonds, rum and spices and are a dairy free and vegan dessert option. The rum gives these bliss balls a delicious warmth and I love these as a twist on a traditional rum ball.
You Will Need
- roasted almonds
- medjool dates
- rum or rum extract (I used a spiced rum for this recipe)
To Make the Chocolate Rum Raisin Bliss Balls
In a food processor with the S blade attachment add in all of your ingredients except for the raisins.
Secondly, blitz the mixture together for around one to two minutes until well combined. This time is dependant on your food processor.
Add in the raisins and pulse through until the raisins have been chopped up slightly and incorporated but have not combined completely with the mixture.
Substitutions in the Chocolate Rum Raisin Bliss Balls
If you do not have any almonds you can use any other nuts. If you wanted a nut free treat you could substitute for a mix of sunflower seeds and pepitas. To replace the alcohol in these bliss balls you can substitute the rum for a rum extract.
You can substitute sultanas in replace of the raisins (I tend to use these quite interchangeably). In fact, if you are using raisins make sure they are not too dry.
If you do not have any medjool dates you can use other dates but I recommend soaking these in boiling water for 10 minutes before draining and using them.
Roasting the Almonds
I prefer to roast any nuts I am using in bliss balls. It brings out a creamy flavour of the nuts and removes any bitterness. To roast the almonds for this Rum Raisin Bliss Ball recipe simply preheat your oven to around 200c fan bake and then roast for around 4 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.Print
These festive Rum Raisin Bliss Balls come together so quickly (and deliciously). Made from whole ingredients and a dash of rum you can make these ahead and store in the fridge for dessert, party plates or on cheese boards.
- 8 medjool dates
- 75g roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut plus extra for rolling
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp rum
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 75g raisins or sultanas
- Place all the ingredients except for the sultanas or raisins in the food processor with the S blade attachment
- Process on high for around two minutes or until well combined and the ingredients are chopped quite finely.
- Add in the sultanas or raisins and pulse through until slightly combined.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the mixture and roll to make a ball in between your hands. Roll the ball lightly in the coconut to coat then roll again in your hands so that the coconut sticks to the ball. Repeat to make 12 bliss balls.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container or in the freezer.
The rum flavour will intensify after refrigerating.
Keywords: Bliss Balls; Protein Balls; Rum Raisin Bliss Balls; Chocolate Rum Raisin Bliss Balls