What is a more classic muffin recipe than Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins? And what is a more perfect twist than adding zucchini to this classic? These Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins with Zucchini are deliciously lemony and not overly sweet and are perfect in the school lunchbox or as a delicious morning tea.
If you have been a longtime reader of my blog you will know I am a fan of added veggies in my baking recipes. A reader recently asked me why I added zucchini into my Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe. And I guess there are a few reasons for this.
- I want to normalise vegetables – they are a food we enjoy in many different ways
- I want to boost the nutrients in my baking and increase our vegetable intake over the day
- Because I actually think they taste good.
And that is why I added zucchini to these Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins too.
And if you think about it adding vegetables to baking and desserts is not new. Carrot Cake is a classic example of a vegetable based bake that is super delicious. And Pumpkin Pie – a marriage made in dessert heaven. And I think these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Zucchini are no different. I think it is just reframing how we think about vegetables. After all, the recommendation in Australia is that we are getting 5 serves a day. So we really need to be trying to include veggies at every or at least most meals.
These Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Zucchini are not overly sweet and they are quite lemony which is what I really wanted. The first batch I tested with these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Zucchini was far too sweet for me. And I really didn’t get a great lemon flavour, though my hubby really loved them. So the next batch I reduced the sugar and added more lemon and I think the balance is so much better.
Do you love lemon? You will adore my Lemon Yogurt Mini Loaves (can be made as muffins). Or do you need to use up your zucchinis? Why not try these delicious Double Chocolate Chip Muffins with Zucchini or these Zucchini Pea Fritters make a great savoury snack.Print
These Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins with Zucchini are delicious. With a yummy veggie twist (that is barely perceptible) they are great in the lunchbox or for snacks. These muffins have a great lemon flavour and are not overly sweet.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 medium zucchini grated (around 125g)
- juice and zest of medium 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Preheat an oven to 170c and thoroughly grease a medium sized muffin tin.
- Mix together all of the ingredients except the flour and baking powder
- Carefully fold through the flour and baking powder until just combined, ensuring you do not over-mix
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the muffin pans
- Bake for around 15-17 minutes or until the muffin springs back when touched and a skewer inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a baking rack and cooling completely
If the zucchini you are using seems overly wet or juicy when you are grating it you may wish to pop the grated zucchini on a clean tea towel and squeeze the liquid out.
Keywords: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins; Lemon Zucchini Muffins