Scones are often my go to morning tea. They are simple to make, I generally have the ingredients on hand and they’re a crowd pleaser. These Simple and Tasty Rocket and Parmesan Scones are no exception. And they truly come together so quickly with a light and airy mix of flour, cream and soda water.
If you have made my Blueberry and Lemon Scones you will know how easy this type of scone is to make. And these savoury Rocket and Parmesan Scones are really just a variation of lemonade scones. I have swapped out the lemonade for soda water and the result is light and airy scones that come together in no time at all.
I first made lemonade scones back at university where I learned from an elderly neighbour Lorna. Before her I never really enjoyed scones, but I loved Lorna’s. And I could not believe how simple they were! She used to make her savoury scones with lemonade too but swapping out for soda water is my preference. And it works perfectly in these Rocket and Parmesan Scones.
I make these Rocket and Parmesan Scones with a herbed cream cheese which is really delicious. They are also gorgeous to have as dippers with Pumpkin Soup or Tomato Soup and they whip up so quickly they are perfect to have with soup for weeknight dinners.
The scones seem quite wet when you are making them, but I’ve never known them not to work. I mix the dough and ingredients in the bowl then turn out on to a well floured bench to pull together shape and then cut. I find working quite quickly helps.
These Rocket and Parmesan Scones do freeze ok, but they are best eaten fresh. If you are freezing, freeze on the day they are made. I popped these in the lunchbox with the creamed cheese filling for Mr 7 which he did not eat. But I guess it’s the thought that counts.Print
These Simple and Tasty Rocket and Parmesan Scones are a perfect savoury snack. They come together quickly and are delicious with soup or a herbed cream cheese.
- 2 cups self raising flour (plus 1/4–1/2 cup reserved)
- 1 cup soda water (250ml)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp cream (150ml)
- 20g rocket chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp milk for brushing
- Preheat your oven to 200c and line a baking tray with baking paper
- In a large bowl mix in all the ingredients except the reserved flour. The mix will be quite sticky.
- On a clean bench, add a thick layer of most of the reserved flour and spoon the mix on top of the flour. Sprinkle some more of the reserved flour over the top of the dough.
- Working with your hands, quickly and lightly knead through the flour so the dough becomes more workable. This should only take a minute or so.
- Shape the dough into a rectangle about 1.5 cm high and cut into even portions with a knife or scone cutter.
- Arrange the scones on the prepared tray and lightly brush each scone with milk.
- Bake the scones for 12-15 minutes on high or until the scones are lightly golden and spring back when pressed lightly
To make the herbed cream cheese, take two-three tablespoons of cream cheese and mix through soft herbs such as chives and basil.
Keywords: Scones; Savoury Scones; Rocket Parmesan Scones