I remember when I first started working I probably brought my lunch much more than I made it. But now I am far too budget conscious. Or more accurately I would rather spend this money on shoes. So I pack myself lunches. But that doesn’t mean that I do not get tempted to buy my lunch. I do find that if I pack myself delicious lunches I am far less likely to grab some takeaway. And this Roasted Vegetable and Rocket Salad with Goats Cheese makes a delicious lunch for work. The combination of the roasted cherry tomatoes, capsicum and zucchini work so well with the peppery rocket.
I love the flavour of roasted vegetables and the sweetness that roasting enhances in the vegetables. Not to mention it’s pretty easy to chuck it all in the oven, set a timer and you can busy yourself with other things!
To make this salad I roasted the capsicum whole as that’s my preference. I love the soft texture of roasted capsicum without their skins and whole roasting makes peeling the skin off a breeze. You could always buy preserved roasted capsicums which are delicious too but they are so easy to roast whole and you can use it for salads or to make dips or pestos.
To roast the capsicum, simply wrap it whole in aluminium foil and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast at around 200c for around 20 minutes or until the capsicum is soft to touch. Keep the capsicum in the foil while it cools so it can sweat which makes peeling the skin easier.
If you don’t have any rocket or do not like the taste of rocket you could always replace with spinach or cos lettuce. To dress this Roasted Vegetable and Rocket Salad with Goats Cheese I used the juice of half a lemon and a light drizzle of olive oil. But you could use any vinaigrette or Italian salad dressing that you have on hand. If I had some basil pesto in my fridge I would have loosened this with some olive oil and made a delicious pesto dressing.Print
This simple Roasted Vegetable and Rocket Salad with Goats Cheese is fantastic for work lunches. The roasted vegetables add a delicious sweetness and compliment the peppery rocket and creamy goats cheese while the pasta makes this a heartier salad to keep you full for longer.
- 1/2 roasted capsicum peeled and cut into strips (see note)
- 1/2 punnet of cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium (150g) zucchini sliced
- 1 cup uncooked pasta (I used Penne)
- A handful (20g) of rocket
- 60g goats cheese
- 1/2 lemon
- olive oil
- dried basil
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 200c and roast the capsicum (see note)
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta to the packet instructions and once cooked, drain and set aside to cool
- Prepare the zucchini and tomatoes for roasting and wash the rocket
- When the capsicum has been roasting for around 10 minutes add in the zucchini and tomatoes, spray them lightly with olive oil and season and roast along with the capsicum for a further 10 minutes before setting aside to cool.
- Once the capsicum has cooled, peel the capsicum and cut and assemble with the pasta, the zucchini and tomatoes, rocket and crumble over the goats cheese
- Sprinkle the salad with basil and drizzle over the lemon juice and olive oil. Enjoy!
To roast the capsicum, take a whole capsicum and lay it on some aluminium foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and wrap the capsicum up. Roast at around 200c for around 20 minutes or until the capsicum is soft to touch. When cool you can peel the skin off easily.
Keywords: Salad, Rocket Salad, Roasted Vegetable Salad, Roasted Vegetable and Rocket Salad, Roasted Vegetable and Rocket Salad with Goats Cheese