I am going to put it out there – you really need to make these Carrot Cake Muffins as soon as you can. So go and pre-heat your ovens now. They are SOO good. And better yet, there is no added sugar in these delicious muffins. Yup, completely free from added sugar! These Sugar Free Carrot Cake Muffins are sweetened only with the natural goodness of fruit. Plus they have a generous serve of vegetables. So this makes these Sugar Free Carrot Cake Muffins just the perfect muffin for school lunches.
When I first made these I used grated apple as another sweetener, and while the muffins were nice, they really just didn’t have the depth of flavour that a carrot cake does. So I went back to the drawing board (or should I say the kitchen?) and decided to try sweetening with dates due to their caramel like flavour. And it’s the dates that really add something special to this recipe.
The smell of these Sugar Free Carrot Cake Muffins baking is out of this world. So sweet and spiced and quite simply mouth-watering. I have to say one of my favourite smells (next to freshly cut grass and the smell of rain on hot pavements) is the scent of baking. I have the most vivid memories of the most delicious fragrance of baking coming from my Nana’s kitchen. She remains one of the best bakers I know, and I like to think maybe I inherited a bit of her magic.
Sugar Free Carrot Cake Muffins
Yield 12 muffins
These delicious Sugar Free Carrot Cake Muffins are fantastic for school lunches. Sweetened only with fruit and containing a generous serve of vegetables these are a fantastic snack for kids and adults alike.
- 3 medjool dates, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup low flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp fresh nutmeg (optional)
- 2 medium grated carrots
- 1/4 cup sultanas (optional)
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line and grease a medium sized muffin tin
- In a small food processor blitz the medjool dates and vanilla extract to form a paste. If the dates are a little dry and do not break down add a small amount of water.
- In a large bowl mash the banana and whisk in the date and vanilla paste with the egg, milk and oil
- Once combined whisk in the cinnamon and nutmeg (if using) and then stir through the carrots, sultanas (if using) and walnuts (if using)
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix carefully until just combined, taking care not to over-mix
- Spoon into the prepared muffin tray and bake for around 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
This recipe is forming part of a new sugar free baking series of recipes I am working on, based on the amazing success of my Sugar Free Apple Oat Cookies (if you have not tried these yet, I urge you to do so…you will not regret it!). So I hope you and your family enjoy these delicious Sugar Free Carrot Cake Muffins and I would love to hear what you think and if this is something you would like me to work on.
PS you can always catch me hanging over on instagram and facebook so come say hi! And remember to sign up for my mailing list so you can be the first to be notified of new recipes and get these delivered right to your inboxes!