These Chocolate Peppermint Brownies are delicious. This quick and simple one bowl recipe is the perfect treat this festive season. Top with buttercream and crushed candy canes or keep it simple and lightly top with confectioners sugar.
For the brownie
- One mashed over-ripe banana (around 200g)
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 125 g melted butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/4 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
For the icing
- 1 1/4 cup icing sugar (sifted)
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 100g butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- crushed candy canes for topping
- Preheat your oven to 175c fan bake and prepare a 18cm square pan
- In a medium bowl whisk together the mashed banana, butter, cocoa, sugar, eggs and the vanilla and peppermint extracts until silky and smooth
- Add in the flour, baking powder and chocolate chips and mix until well combined
- Spread into the prepared slice pan and bake at 175c for around 12-15 minutes or until the brownie is just cooked through and the top bounces back when lightly touched and a skewer inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan before removing.
- Ice the brownie and sprinkle with the crushed candy canes. I would recommend doing this step as close to serving as possible if you are making the brownie ahead of time.
- Slice the brownie into 16 pieces and enjoy
Keywords: Brownies; Chocolate Brownies; Chocolate Peppermint Brownies; Peppermint Brownies