This quick and simple Veggie Pasta Sauce is packed with 6 vegetables. It is rich and flavourful and comes together within 30 minutes. It’s the perfect kid-friendly pasta sauce for busy weeknights.
- 200g (one small) peeled sweet potato
- 100g (one medium) peeled carrot
- 200g (one large) zucchini
- 1 medium brown onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 500ml passata
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped soft herbs – basil and parsley work very well in this sauce
- Roughly chop the peeled sweet potato, carrot, zucchini and onion to a similar size and put in a food processor with the S-blade attachment. If you do not have a food processor grate the sweet potato, carrot and zucchini and finely dice the onion.
- Preheat a pan over a low heat with the olive oil.
- Blitz the vegetables together until finely chopped to your desired consistency. I prefer mine to still have some texture.
- Add the prepared vegetable mix to the pan and increase the heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure that it does not catch on the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the garlic, oregano, sugar and salt and pepper and stir through for one minute
- Then stir in the passata, diced tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture should only gently bubble so if it is boiling hard reduce the heat.
- Stir the fresh herb through the veggie pasta sauce then divide the mixture into two portions. See note for storage instructions.
- If serving one portion immediately, stir through 400-500g cooked pasta and top with fresh herbs and parmesan if desired.
This is a double batch designed to be divided in halves. Each portion equates to around 625 ml which when added with 500g pasta will serve 5 people.
The remaining portion can be stored in the fridge for three to four days or in the freezer for up to six months.
To reheat the pasta sauce, heat until steaming either in the microwave or on the stove top in a pan.
Keywords: Veggie Pasta Sauce, Pasta Sauce, Vegetarian Pasta Sauce, Tomato Based Pasta Sauce, Rich Tomato and Vegetable Pasta Sauce