This delicious and satisfying Vegetarian Noodle Soup is a fantastic warming lunch or dinner. Packed with goodness, this flavourful vegetarian soup comes together so quickly and easily, you’ll be eating this in well under 20 minutes.
For the broth
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 100g mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine
- 1 1/2 tbsp light flavoured Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed with the back of a knife
- 1.5cm piece of ginger cut into 3 thin slices
- 1 star anise
Fillings and Toppings
- 2 Pak Choy halved or quartered depending on size
- 180g fresh noodles prepared according to package instructions
- 200g firm tofu diced
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1 shallot (spring onions) green part only sliced finely
- 2 tbsp fried shallots
- crushed chilli paste (optional) to taste
- In a medium saucepan quickly blanch the Pak Choy, remove from the pot and then set aside.
- In the same water prepare the noodles according to the package instructions. Once cooked, drain these and set aside. Follow the packet instructions as some require you to add in a little oil to keep the noodles separately. Quickly wash the saucepan to prepare the broth.
- In the saucepan add the broth ingredients, vegetable stock, cooking wine, soy sauce, star anise, garlic, ginger and sugar and bring to slow boil over reasonably high heat. Once it has come to a slow boil, reduce the heat to medium low, pop on the lid and simmer for 8 minutes.
- As the broth cooks, gently fry the tofu in around 1/4 tsp of sesame oil until lightly golden.
- Prepare the bowls by dividing the cooked Pak Choy and noodles between the bowls then top with the cooked tofu.
- When the broth has cooked, scoop out the ginger, garlic and star anise and divide the mushrooms and broth between the noodle bowls.
- Top with fresh and fried shallots and the chilli paste (if using) and tuck in!
The broth was adapted from Recipe Tin Eats Chinese Noodle Soup with minor adjustments.
You do not need to add salt to the broth.
Keywords: Soup; Noodle Soup; Asian Soup; Vegetarian Soup; Vegetarian Noodle Soup