This Rice Noodle Salad is delicious, so full of flavour and the perfect combination of freshness, heat, aromatics and the crunch factor. It’s quick enough to prepare for the perfect ‘take-away at home’ lunch and substantial enough for dinner. This Vietnamese inspired cold rice noodle salad is gluten free, nut free and dairy free.
For the Salad
- 100g (uncooked) rice vermicelli noodles
- 200g tofu diced into 1–2 cm squares
- olive oil or sesame oil for frying the tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce for marinating the tofu
- 50g cos lettuce finely chopped
- 100g carrot (one medium) grated
- 100g cucumber (1/3 large) grated
- 2 spring onions (green parts only) finely sliced
- a small handful of coriander leaves (to taste), chopped if desired
- a small handful of mint leaves (to taste), chopped if desired
- finely sliced chilli to taste
- 1 tablespoon of fried shallots
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (substitute for soy sauce for vegetarian option)
- juice of one lime
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 clove garlic crushed
- 1 cm square ginger finely grated
- Prepare the rice vermicelli noodles according to their packet instructions and marinate the tofu.
- Meanwhile prepare the dressing by adding the rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, lime, sugar, garlic and ginger in a small bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Cook the tofu in a small frypan over a medium heat until browned, this will take around 5 minutes.
- While the tofu is cooking prepare the salad vegetables, herbs and chilli and then begin to assemble the salad.
- Portion the cooked noodles between 2 salad bowls – I use about 1.5 cups of noodles per bowl so you may have some noodles left over which can be used for rice paper rolls. Then top with the lettuce, carrot, cucumber and the cooked tofu.
- Then add the spring onions, herbs, chilli and fried shallots and dress the salad to taste.
- Serve immediately.
If you are not eating immediately you can prepare the noodles, tofu and dressing ahead of time and assemble the salad when needed. If taking to work, make sure the tofu has cooled completely before assembling the salad and send the dressing in a separate container and dress just before eating.
Keywords: Rice Noodle Salad, Bún Salad, Rice Bún Salad, Tofu Salad, Cold Noodle Salad, Noodle Salad.