These delicious healthier Pizza Scrolls are fantastic to make ahead for school lunches and pack as a snack or alternative to a sandwich. Made with a whole meal flour blend and topped with veggies these will be a lunchbox hit.
For the dough
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp instant dried yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra for the bowl
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 cup plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
For the topping
- 4 tbsp tomato paste or pizza sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella or tasty cheese
- 1 cup vegetables around 150g (I used capsicum, mushrooms and zucchini)
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple with any juice squeezed out
- dried oregano
- pepper (optional)
- In a small jug mix water, dried yeast, honey and oil for around 5 minutes or until frothy
- In a stand mixer with the dough hook attached add in the salt, flour and the yeast mixture and mix on low for 5 minutes or until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl and attaches to the hook
- Remove from the bowl and knead on a lightly bench for another 3 or so minutes until smooth and firm.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with clean damp kitchen towel. Allow to prove for an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and separate into four even balls cover with a clean damp kitchen towel and allow to rise for another 30 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 200c and line a baking tray and prepare the vegetables and pineapple
- Press each ball into a rectangle on a piece of baking paper and then roll out until the dough is around around 0.1 ml thick. The rectangle will be around 15x25cm
- Lightly spread with pizza sauce and sprinkle with the toppings
- Gently roll the dough up evenly from the shortest side to form a log, then slice each log with a serrated knife into 8 even scrolls.
- Place the scrolls onto the prepared baking tray, squashing down slightly then bake for around 12 minutes until cooked through
For bigger scrolls you can separate the dough into two balls
If you wanted a lighter wholemeal blend you could use 1 cup of wholemeal flour and 1 1/2 cups of plain flour.
Keywords: Pizza Scrolls; Scrolls; Pizza; Dough