This vegetarian Mexican Salad is as delicious as it is filling. The salad is fresh and zesty, made with wholesome ingredients and elevated by a sweet and sour lime and honey dressing. While you won’t be hungry after eating this…you’ll definitely want more! This recipe is nut, egg and gluten free and can easily be made dairy free by omitting the feta.
For the salad
- 50g mescaline leaves (around 3 generous handfuls)
- 1 1/2 cooked wild rice (see note)
- 110g chopped cucumber
- 150g cherry tomatoes halved
- 1–2 tbsp picked coriander leaves
- 1 cooked corn cob kernels removed
- 50g crumbled feta
- 50g roasted pepitas
- 1/4 of small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 avocado thinly sliced
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 2–3 limes
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- In a large salad bowl or dish add the bed of mescaline leaves and cooked and cooled wild rice
- Arrange the cucumber, cherry tomatoes and sprinkle over the coriander leaves.
- Layer over the cooked and cooled corn kernels – I like to keep chunks of corn together – and crumble over the feta.
- Sprinkle the pepitas and arrange the red onion. Finally top with the sliced avocado.
- When ready to serve, drizzle over the dressing and enjoy.
- I use the absorption method to cook the wild rice which can be done the day before you make the salad. In a medium saucepan add one cup of uncooked plain rice to one and a half cups of cold water, stir slightly then bring up to the boil over medium heat. Add the lid to the saucepan, turn the heat down to low and cook without lifting the lid for 14 minutes. Remove from the heat and stand aside for a further 10 minutes without lifting the lid. Fluff the rice and cool. Ensure any cooked rice is refrigerated as soon as it’s cool enough to avoid food poisoning.
- You can use easily pre-cooked rice packets if you’re short on time.
- Feel free to play around with the ingredients and quantities and personalise to your taste
Keywords: Mexican Salad. Mexican Rice Salad. Vegetarian Mexican Salad. Mexican Salad Recipe.