These Simple and Easy Low Sugar Gingerbread Cookies are great to bake with kids. Just over 1 gram of sugar per serve but retaining their sweet and spicy festive taste you will love this healthier version of the traditional favourite.
- 100g butter softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric beater
- Add the spices and the egg and mix again to combine
- With a spatula or spoon mix in the flour and baking powder to form a dough
- Bring the dough together and wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 180c and line a baking tray with baking paper
- After chilling, roll the dough out on baking paper sprinkled lightly with flour and cut out the gingerbread shapes
- In batches, place the gingerbread on to the prepared tray and bake each batch for around 8 minutes or until lightly golden
- Cool on a wire baking rack before enjoying or freezing for later.
If you don’t like an overly gingery Gingerbread only add 1 1/2 tsp of ginger.
This batch makes 100 mini gingerbread or around 3 dozen medium gingerbread men. The nutritional information is based on the mini cookie serving size. The medium gingerbread men have 3% of the average daily sugar requirement per cookie.
These cookies can be frozen for around 3 months. Store in a ziplock bag after baking when they have cooled completely.